Young Composers Competition
It all started when...
In celebration of our 20th season in 2015, we at The Summer Singers put together our first Young Composers Competition. Since then, the initiative has grown and attracted more than 60 entries from around the world in 2017. Composers must be 25 or younger at the time of submission.
2018 submission guidelines:
- Composer must be age 25 or younger at time of submission
- Composition must be written for SATB a cappella choir. Works may have a maximum of 8 part divisi (SSAATTBB)
- Maximum work length is five minutes
- Text may be of any language. Composer must submit a statement confirming that text is from the public domain or that permission has been given from the author
- Submit a description of the work that includes a brief performance history (if any) of the work
- Submissions accepted through May 7, 2018. Email score, description of the work (300 words or less), statement of text, and short bio (100 words or less), to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject:
2018 Composition Submission
In the event that two compositions are considered equally exceptional, preference will be given to a work in which TSS would premiere or give the second performance of the work and/or fits into the theme COME TO THE WATER -- featuring choral works with images of water.
The composer of the winning submission will receive
- a prize of $500
- Three concert performances during our season
- A professional recording of the work
- The winning composer is welcome to participate in the rehearsal process in person or via electronic communications
The Summer Singers will help promote the winning work and the composer may choose to have a perusal copy of the winning submission posted on our website. The Summer Singers will have a perpetual license to perform and record the winning work for archival and other purposes, including CD distribution and other methods of dissemination.